Thursday, February 17, 2011

Embroidery!

(A poem for Mama Shaden on her 70th Birthday!)

Needles or bullets
they both pierce the fabric
of the heart
one with love
the other with hate

You sat there every evening
embroidering a future smile on my face
and soul
for eternity
and they came one evening
and embroidered pain on my heart
for mortality

I shall embroider my words on their bullets
and send them back
to their wicked souls…

I can still hear your laughs
and see your smile
that is why I am going the extra mile…

I always feel your presence
in this house
in my essence
in your absence
from social gatherings
and the narrow streets leading to the houses of the oppressed…

Your needlework is not finished yet
and soon
soon inshallah
little hands shall
pick up your needle
and continue the journey of love in the fabric of freedom…

By Saed J. Abu-Hijleh
Feb 15, 2011











1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Saed. My name is Hilary. I met you on the Zyara organised by Sana and Sahar last October. (I am the midwife!)

This poem is beautiful.

It really powerfully shows us that your mother was a wonderful woman and mother.