Saturday, December 12, 2009

A radio program by BBC Alan Johnston on his return to Nablus after six years (I am interviewed in this program)

A radio program by BBC Alan Johnston on his return to Nablus after six years. Alan interviewed me in 2003 after my Mother Shaden Abu-Hijleh was assassinated by Israeli soldiers. Excerpts of this interview are included in this program. In it I recount the tragic moments of the crime. You can listen to the radio show by visiting the following link:


http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0057d1s

When you reach to the page hit Listen Now (and if you could not hear, hit the Lower Bandwidth Version).

I have to say that I do not agree with several things in this program and we all have to listen to it critically. Actually, I gave the BBC a long and in-depth interview on Nov. 11, 2009 about my analysis of the current situation, and the fake "economic peace" of Netanyahu in light of the continued Israeli Military Occupation and Apartheid (the siege of Gaza, the ethnic cleansing in Jerusalem, the Apartheid wall, the expansion of Israeli colonies, settler violence, and the continued killing and imprisonment of Palestinians, etc.) but it was not included in this program for editorial considerations.

However, Alan Johnston does say clearly that without ending the Israeli occupation the current calm will collapse as was the case in the first and second intifadas, and he should be commended and thanked for the good effort he put in this program.

All the best,

Saed J. Abu-Hijleh

No comments: